The City of Walker wants to work together with your group to Adopt-A-Road. This is similar to the Michigan Department of Transportation's Adopt-A-Highway Program. The purpose of the Adopt-A-Road is to involve Walker citizens in keeping their local roads clean, safe and attractive. Your group can adopt as little as one mile and as much as four miles. View the application and safety rules.
- April 1st, 2021
- June 3rd, 2021
- August 5th, 2021
- September 30th, 2021
Who Can Participate
- Groups of 10 or more
- Must be at least 16 years of age or older unless otherwise approved.
- Groups are required to pick up roadside trash a minimum of four times a year.
- Dates and times will be determined by the city.
- The city will provide trash bags for each group.
- The city will pick up filled bags. Please contact the Department of Public Works Office at 616-791-6854 when you are done.
- Participants are required to wear orange or hunter orange vests while cleaning up the roadside.
- The Department of Public Works will supply the vests. If the vests are lost or stolen the group will be asked to replace them at their own expense.
Groups that request a specific roadside area will be assigned to that area on a first-come, first-serve basis. Every attempt will be made to assign you to your road of choice.
- All groups that adopt a road will have a sign displayed on their portion of the road recognizing their involvement in this program.
- Each group will also receive a certificate to display in their lobby or business.
- The City will supply the signs recognizing your group's involvement in the program.
- Only the initial set of signs will be provided at the city's expense. Signs that are stolen, damaged, defaced, or destroyed will be at the group's expense. ( The cost of the sign is $75).
There is no charge for an Adopt-A-Road Application