Community Profile

Name of Municipality: City of Walker

Government Form: Mayor - Commissioners

Reason for Name: Continuation of the name of Walker Township

Population: 23,537 in the 2010 census

Size: 26 square miles

Location: Northwest of Grand Rapids

Motto: From Solid Roots - Strong Branches

County: Kent

When Established: 1962 from Walker Township, which was organized in 1837

Physical Features/Rivers, etc: Grand River on eastern border and rolling farmland

Landmarks/Monuments: Walker Interurban Station and Centennial Farms

Natural Resources: Oil, Plaster Mines, Muck Farms, Gravel Pits

Trade: Early years - lumbering, farming, and plaster mines

Industry: Retail, automotive parts manufacture, furniture manufacturing, lumber yards, plaster mines, and sand mining

Agriculture: Orchards and vegetable and fruit farms

Libraries: Kent District Library / Walker Branch

Museums: Walker Historical Museum - Northwest of the Walker City Complex

Parks: County - Johnson Park, new Millenium Park

City: Community, Alpine Estates, Harmon, English Hills, Lincoln Lawns, City Central

Local Crafts: Woodworking, ceramics, and gardening

Oldest Church/School: Wesleyan and Fairview Reformed Churches - Kinney School

Shopping Districts: Alpine Avenue, and Standale Business District

Sporting Events: Soccer, football, baseball, track, golf, Walk-er Run, skating

History: Now a shell of the original lands as organized by the State of Michigan in 1837, Walker has changed from a rural farming community, feeding the large population of Grand Rapids, to equal status as a city. Today, the city is self-sufficient with Fire and Police protection.

Significant Historical Event: Organization of the City in 1962

Attractions: Tree-lined streets/roads, open spaces, spacious homes, great schools, great shopping, bus and City services

Colleges/Universities: Served by Grand Valley State University, 6 miles west