INTERESTED IN A CAREER IN LAW ENFORCEMENT?
Join Our Family!
The City of Walker Police Department is currently seeking qualified applicants for the position of Police Officer. Interested parties shall possess impeccable moral integrity, a strong work ethic, advanced communication skills, and a naturally flexible and adaptive personality. This position requires a commitment to the community policing philosophy. Officers must strive to create a partnership between themselves and the community they serve, working together to identify, prioritize, and solve problems with the goal of improving the overall quality of life in the City of Walker. They are responsible for the accomplishment of the Mission and Vision of the Walker Police Department.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and City of Walker application to the Human Resources Department, electronically or in person, to Walker City Hall or Human Resources Director, Shannon Bales. The city job application is attached below!
Our most recent hiring process closed on March 31, but we plan to hire again soon and are always accepting applications, which we will review when we have our next opening in the summer of 2022!
- MCOLES certified or certifiable through police academy attendance
- Pass extensive physical, psychological, written, and background evaluations
- At least 21 years of age
- Completion of two (2) years of college-level coursework
- Valid MI driver's license
- No felony convictions
- Starting pay as of July 1, 2021, is $24.67 per hour, $51,309 annually
- Top level pay after five (5) years of service is $36.82 per hour, $76,584 annually
- Lateral transfer with three (3) years of experience starts you at year two's (2) pay step of $32.43 per hour, $67,454 annually
- Longevity and holiday pay
- 80 paid vacation hours in first year with increasing annual amounts as years of experience increase
- Ongoing opportunities to accrue additional vacation time
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance with opt-out stipends available
- City-provided life insurance policy
- Defined Contribution Retirement 401a: City matches your 1% minimum contribution with 9%
- Continuing education, training, and more!
- Detective Bureau
- Crash Investigation
- KANET Vice Detective
- Special Response Team (SRT)
- Field Force Team
- Drone Pilot
- Honor Guard
- Field Training Officer
- Training Instructors
- Recruiting Team
- Community Outreach & Engagement Team
Please click the links below for more information: