Department of Public Works
Functions & Duties of the Department of Public Works
The DPW works closely with the City Engineer's Office on road projects, easements, and plan review. DPW crews also assist the Police and Fire Departments with various emergency incidents.
To provide a safe quality City public road system for the motoring public, as cost-effective as possible, using the most current proven technology available to provide the highest quality of life for all.
- There are 23 full-time employees on the DPW Crew. This includes 1 Director, 4 Supervisors, 1 Crew Leader, and 1 Administrative Assistant.
- Maintenance of local and major streets
- Maintains 47.21 miles of major streets and 70.53 miles of local streets including patching street sweeping, crack sealing, storm sewer cleaning, snow removal, and paving.
- Motor Pool
- Staff maintains 221 pieces of equipment for the Department of Public Works (DPW), Police, and Fire Departments.
- Building Maintenance
- Building Maintenance has 2 full-time employees that maintain 5 city buildings. Staff is also responsible for 10 contracted services and event setups.
- Parks Maintenance
- Maintains 4.75 miles of bike/walking trails,157 acres of city grounds,106.83 acres which include 10 parks, 3 cemeteries, 2 off-site fire stations, and the City Hall Complex.
- DDA Maintenance
- Maintains irrigation, streetlights, banners, and snow removal from sidewalks. The City has a contracted maintenance agreement for mowing and planting flowers.
- Sign Shop
- 4,000 signs citywide including order and pre-make signs, design and produce signs, vehicle detailing, centerline painting/markings, and crosswalks.
- Adopt A Road
- Clean Up Days
- Easter Egg Hunt
- Leaf Recycling Program
- Memorial Day
- Pumpkin Bash
- Standale Summer Concert Series
- Winter Fest and Tree Lighting
- Block Parties
- Kent District Library Events
- 59th District Court Community Service Workers
- Voting setup and tear down